A sidebar article written by Watts Wacker a few years earlier in Futurist magazine caught the group's curiosity. Writing out of SRI International at the time, he projected the next logical era to follow the Information Age to be The Dream Era and listed the following characteristics:
- Storytellers as Leaders
- Downward Nobility
- People Regrouping into NeoTribes
- Spiritual Experiences as the New Status Symbols
Or maybe it held onto me.
- It followed me through the shock of the Columbine school shootings and the first major financial rumble of early 2001.
- It followed me into the devastation felt round the world on 9-11-1 and the impact it had on my own dreams—personal and professional.
- It followed me until it caught up with me around the time that the tragic combo of human error and forces of nature that became known simply as “Katrina” rocked the country. And that happened to be right in time for my own internal awakening to areas of major growth and change and possibility.
- Storytellers as Leaders? Our highly paid storytelling celebrities in sports, music and especially movies stepped more visibly out of mere entertainment and idol-like roles into Leadership roles, speaking out about social justice causes (sometimes to the detriment of their own careers) and leading the way in giving back to the whole.
- Downward Nobility? Instead of seeming like a joke began to become the norm with consumerism taking a hit and Simplicity movements catching on.
- NeoTribalism? Groups started coming together to help each other heal and try to figure out new ways to balance individuality with community--new ways of pooling resources and even living spaces.
- Spiritual Experiences as the new Status Symbols? Commentators started asking why the sudden influx of spiritual language into the public arena. Major talk show hosts conducted highly publicized "spiritual" events.
Then too explosive to find an anology for, Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube took off and now for the first time in history a different kind of “tribalism” with global possibilities than has ever been possible—neotribalism, or the potential for it–--is strongly in play.
So now you know the story of this blog. The point of why I’m dreamcasting.
- Because I think it’s time to get this party started–-messy or not.
- Because I figure I can do my part if I use my core Strengths of futurism, maximizing and arranging to cennect global trends to the gifts of each world-changing member of my highly diverse network.
- And because I want the pain of my personal story and journey to be transformed in a powerful way that makes a difference for those coming after me.
I for one would like to be ready--and to step courageously into my role.